Heart Arrow Pet-Pourri


                            October Cat Special                                        Thanksgiving Holiday Hours                                                Holiday Hours 

      All Furry Feline Exams 40% off Plus a Free Vaccine!        7:30 am-6:00 pm Wednesday, Nov. 22                                Closed Dec 22-25

                                                                                                     Closed Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 23                                   Closed Dec 31 and Jan 1


Fall and Winter Reminders

The holiday season and winter cold bring about many changes. Some changes can indirectly be detrimental to your pet’s health. Holiday plants, decorations, chocolate, and antifreeze are a few things your pet may be exposed to during the holiday season. Because this time of year is filled with activity, we have included a few suggestions to help make the holidays less stressful for you and your pets. Holiday decorations are beautiful, but some can be dangerous for indoor pets. Some of the plants used to decorate your house for the holidays may be toxic for your pet. Try to keep Poinsettia, Mistletoe, or Holly plants out of your pet’s reach. Pets who eat these plants may experience a mild case of vomiting, diarrhea, or profuse salivation (slobbering). These symptoms are self-limiting, and rarely require treatment. A diluent, such as water, can be given to reduce stomach irritation. If the symptoms are severe, a veterinarian should see your pet. Holiday lights indoors should be placed our of the reach of your pets. The electric cords can be chewed (especially if a new puppy or kitten is in the house) or pulled down and can wrap the neck. Tinsel on the Christmas tree can also be dangerous for your pet. One strand can cause serious damage to the intestinal tract if swallowed. Sap and chemical additives that may be in the tree water bowl also can be toxic to pets. Remember, no chocolate for your pet! Chocolate is a favorite treat for the holidays, but there are ingredients in chocolate that are toxic to animals. Try to keep chocolate treats stored in a tightly sealed container. Pets who eat chocolate may have vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness, increased frequency of urination, and tremors. Please call us immediately if your pet happens to inadvertently “open” a box of chocolates for a treat. Keep holiday leftovers on your plate. Table scraps from the holiday meal often are overwhelming to your pet’s digestive tract. If your pet eats many leftovers, he/she may become sick with gastroenteritis, or “garbage gut.” Also, turkey bones can splinter and perforate the stomach or any part of the intestines.


With these tips in mind, we wish you a happy Fall and Winter and a healthy new year!!


If you have an emergency when the clinic is closed, please call Pet Emergency Clinic at 326-6670