Keep Pets Safe on St. Patrick’s Day : St Patricks Day Dog Costume - St. Patty's Day Doggie Headband  and Green Bow Tie Kit : Pet Supplies

St. Patrick’s Day is nearly here, and many are getting into the spirit to celebrate the Irish holiday! While St. Patty’s Day is typically known for fun, high energy festivities, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) wants to help make sure that your furry friends don’t get into too much mischief. 

Celebrations are fun for us, but it is best to keep potential hazards and toxins out of your pet’s way. Below, you’ll find APCC’s top tips for keeping your furry friends safe, happy and healthy!

Shamrocks come in two different colors. The green shamrock is Oxalis acetosellar and the purple shamrocks are Oxalis triangularis. These bright, festive plants make their appearance as gifts for friends and family around the beginning of March and are often used to bring a bit of the “green” into our homes. However, these plants are not appropriate for pets and can cause stomach upset, drooling and head shaking when small amounts are ingested. If large amounts are ingested, there are more severe concerns such as a decrease in the blood calcium level and kidney damage. Luckily the bitter taste of these plants deters most animals from eating a large amount. 

Green beer can almost always be found available at St. Patrick’s Day venues and parties. Alcohol can be as attractive to our pets as it is to humans, and due to their size, it does not take much alcohol get our four-legged friends into trouble. When a pet gets into an unattended or spilled drink, they may show signs of depression and drunkenness within about an hour. This will cause difficulty walking and stomach upset. Dogs who have ingested large amounts of alcohol may have a decreased gag reflex and are at risk for aspiration pneumonia if they inhale the vomit into their lungs. Always keep your eye one your beverage and do not place it on the floor or on a low table where pets can have easy access. If you cannot always monitor your pet, it’s best to put them in a quiet, safe room until the party has come to an end.

Irish soda bread is a popular food during St. Patrick’s Day celebrations. Be aware that this bread does contain raisins which can cause kidney failure in dogs. It’s best to feed furry friends they’re own veterinarian-approved healthy treats during any celebrations.  

Following these safety rules will help keep your pet out of trouble and allow you to have the best time at your St. Patrick’s Day bash. Be sure to keep an eye on the items in your home and keep them out of paws’ reach. If you believe your pet has ingested something potentially toxic or seems to be having an adverse reaction to something, please contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 immediately.

~At Heart Arrow We Love Pets~

Thanks to ASPCA for portions of this article